Anyone who has ever met Siege (my dog) knows that he is a food enthusiast to the core. Now, I know dogs universally love food, but Siege takes it to another level- he truly relishes in delicious eats. While feeding him lately, I have been watching his approach to eating and I feel like we all could benefit from approaching eating as he does….
Siege enjoying the outdoors between meals...
The Siege Guide to Eating:
- Once food is being prepared, start to get excited. Watch what is happening carefully and with a close eye- food preparation deserves attention.
- As food preparation is winding down and you are getting closer to eating, start to really look forward to your food- it is going to be SO great!!!
- Once food is set before you and you are ready to eat, dig in. Enjoy it all passionately. Savor each bite.
- Once the food is gone and in your tummy, take a walk outside, or take a moment to lie down if you are feeling a bit tuckered after deeply enjoying your food. Don’t be afraid to truly relax-life’s worries and to-do’s will always wait for you.
- Repeat steps 1-4 at the next meal.
First off, I am not your typical hard-core Boulder athlete. That said, I have a LOT of energy and I need to exercise two or three times a week to stay sane. So, with this last week’s weather being quite ho-hum, I settled into the sofa with Project Runway ( a great show about fashion) on my mind more than Cottonwood Trail ( a great running trail nearby).
Then the came some signs telling me it was time to move…
With a week of no movement floating by me, I felt fine actually. I felt like I needed the rest. So rest I did. And then last night, I felt the first sign of antsy. I could not fall asleep to save my life. I just laid there awake. And then I was still awake. And if you know me, sleeping is really where I shine.
Reflecting back further, last night during a previously mentioned episode of Project Runway, I found myself stretching my legs. Extending through my heel, pointing my toes.
Then this afternoon I sat down at my computer and I felt like I had been sitting there for five years. Way too much energy. Way too much.
So, hearing those signs, I am off to run! Hopefully, I will out-run the rain cloud on the way and the Project Runway sirens that always call me back…
Shout out to my running shoes...
Okay, I promise this is the last thing I will say about quinoa, but now that we have talked about it so much the question arises, how do I put this into meals? How is quinoa used?
Well, to answer this, here are some of my favorite ways to use quinoa:
- Use it just as you would rice- this is a great rule of thumb
- Add it to salad, stir-fry, or burritos
- Make a tabbouleh with it
- Swap it for oatmeal as a breakfast cereal to change it up and increase your morning protein
- Add beans, meat, veggies, and any kind of dressing with it for the perfect on-hand meal (like the lentil, quinoa, veggie delight I wrote about last week)
Two last tips:
1. Make it broth for extra nutrients and savory flavor
2. Make a big batch to keep in the fridge- then it is ready to be thrown into any meal!