Last week I gave out the food-on-hand recipe for quinoa, beans, and veggies, and while I was writing it I thought to myself, “You know, quinoa is new to a lot of folks…” So today, let talk about making it…
It is like brain surgery, except that instead of difficult, it is easy 🙂
Time to cook: 20-25 minutes
Makes 2.5-3 cups
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Rinse the quinoa and drain. I know that this sounds silly- why in goodnesses name would you need to rinse it? Well, it has a naturally occurring chemical called saponins on it, which it produces to keep pests away. So rinse it.
- Add rinsed quinoa, the salt and water into a 2 -quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Cover.
- Do NOT stir while it is cooking.
- To see if it is done, tip the pan to the side. If water is present, keep cooking. If not, you are done!